Sunday, August 30, 2015

Quotes of the Week Accidental Themes: London and Religion

I collected a couple of quotes from the book that I'm reading (which I do these days by taking a picture of them--is that dumb, or what?  But it makes me remember to put them here...).  The Dawkins one was written on a card that I'd stuck in a folder of "stuff to blog."  Most of the "stuff" got placed in the recycling bin instead, because I didn't really care anymore about what was written there.  Dawkins is always good for a zinger, and he's a non-theist Brit known for sparring with religion, and the two quotations from Kraken are about London and religion...specifically squid-worshipping ones, you see...um...

...maybe that would take too long to explain.  Without further ado, here are the Quotes of the Week.  Let's get kraken.  (Booooooooooo!).



The streets of London are stone synapses hardwired for worship.  Walk the right or wrong way down Tooting Bec you're invoking something or other.  You may not be interested in the gods of London, but they're interested in you.



A plague of ennui afflicted London's manic prophets.


                           --both from Kraken, by China Miéville




Just as I wouldn't expect a gynecologist to have a debate with somebody who believed in the stork theory of reproduction, I won't do debates with young Earth creationists.


                           --(Oh, snippity snap!)  Richard Dawkins

4 comments:

  1. Yes, snippety snap! I love the quotes.

    I also take pictures of pages in books, signs on walls, etc. I don't think it's dumb at all, which I suppose makes it "[or] what."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one, Mitch. Oh, I think if I deleted all of my pictures of signs, my phone would have a lot more free memory. :)

      Delete
  2. Wait ... you mean everything I was taught in the Stork-Only Sex Education class back in middle school was wrong?

    ReplyDelete

Always feel free to chime in.