Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Quotes of the Week--Solitude and Sci-Fi

Back in the day, I used to do Quotes of the Week.  This was always meant to be a little joke, because they would turn up every few months or so, at best.  I think it's been over a year now, so I figure it's time for another few quotes.  Nothing monumental just because they're the first in a long time...just whatever I've dog-eared recently.  There's even a quote of the week WITHIN a quote of the week.  Oh, the layers. 

So here they are...



How have we arrived, in the relatively prosperous developed world, at least, at a cultural moment which values autonomy, personal freedom, fulfillment and human rights, and above all individualism, more highly than they have ever been valued before in human history, but at the same time these autonomous, free, self-fulfilling individuals are terrified of being alone with themselves?

--Sara Maitland



Underlying these attitudes, Maitland argues, is the central driver of fear — fear of those radically different from us, who make choices we don’t necessarily understand. This drives us, in turn, to project our fright onto others, often in the form of anger — a manifestation, at once sad, mad, and bad, of Anaïs Nin’s memorable observation that “it is a sign of great inner insecurity to be hostile to the unfamiliar.”

                            --Maria Popova, How to Be Alone: An Antidote to One of the Central Anxieties and Greatest Paradoxes of Our Time 


Oops...dog-eared page covered "the."
 


--both by Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death

2 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY love the idea of a quote of the week. I love quotes and I find things I like all the time and never know what to do with them. I am absolutely stealing this idea and using it myself. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Julie! I think I'll post another batch soon. :)

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.