Sunday, January 18, 2015

Old Photos

 
I promise I won't dwell on this, guys, but I wanted to share a few pictures of my dad.  I made a photo display for his visitation and funeral, and these are some of the photos that I used.  Scrapbooker and photo preserver are a few of the roles that I play in my family.  It's something I enjoy.  For example, every once in awhile I'll find a great old photo of my mom or dad that I've never seen before, and it's great to get them enlarged, frame them, and give them to siblings as gifts. 
 
When funeral arrangements were being made (very little had to be done--my parents had taken care of everything years ago, and that was a great burden taken off of us), I mentioned that I could make something, and my siblings were really appreciative and a few had thought that I might do something like that.  It was great to have a project to do for a few days leading up to the funeral, and it was a way for me to look back at Dad's life and process my initial stages of grief. 
 
As a kid, my dad was nicknamed "Buddy" and as he grew it stuck, but turned into "Bud."  So, everybody, this is Bud.
 
 
 
 
Their wedding photo.  I call this my mom's "I Love Lucy" wedding dress.  :)
One sad thing about his passing is that they would have had their 60th
wedding anniversary this coming November.


It looks like baseball was way more serious business than the military.

That's me with my dad and brother.  I remember the sucker--it was peach flavored.

Buddy.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    You don't know me - I saw a post of yours on Twitter and started following your posts and then found your blog.

    I hope this doesn't sound too cold and impersonal coming from a stranger, but I'm really sorry for the loss of your Dad.

    There's gonna be a lot of pain for now but I hope you know it gets better in time.

    It's thought that Darwin was thinking of the death of his own beloved daughter when he wrote this, "There is grandeur in this view of life ... from so simple a beginning, endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

    May you find peace soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lori, and thank you for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. What great pictures and memories. Can't believe you remember the flavor (peach) of that sucker. (But then, it wasn't that long ago!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mitch. I have very specific memories of that day for some reason, and they are among my earliest. Don't ask me what I had for dinner yesterday, though!

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.