Thursday, June 5, 2014

Say a Little Prayer...with a Twist

Recently, I heard such a strange mix of spirituality from my neighbor.  She told me about her father's death and how her stepmother was being really awful to her and to her siblings.  I offered my condolences and said that I was so sorry that things were being made worse by that woman's meanness.  She then said the strangest thing (well, odd to me, anyway).  Quoth she: "Well, say a little prayer, and maybe Karma will get her!"

No big deal, and she said it with a wink and a smile, but it's funny to me how there's sort of a mix of beliefs going on in some people's minds.  Did I mention that she attends the Baptist church that's within walking distance of where we live?  Say a little prayer, and maybe Karma will get her.

Uh...okay.  *wink...smile*

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, and when I die I'm going to heaven and I'm going to come back as a Buddhist... or do I have to die a Buddhist before I can come back? Either way, there's a mizvah in there somewhere. Wink. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mazel tov! I mean... Namaste! ...or something... :)

      Delete
  2. I've always been struck by how strange it is that people pick and choose which parts of religion they "practise" and which parts they ignore - and how they rationalize that ignorance. weird wild world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is interesting, isn't it? It's just a sign of believing things without thinking them through. ...I think... ;)

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.