Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Remnants

I was doing some organizing and condensing of my bookshelves this week.   One of the perks of my work life is that I get a ton of free books, so I have to clean house every once in awhile, lest I become a guest of Hoarders : Literary Edition (oh, I would watch the shit out of that).  I picked up a book that is a remnant of Christian Michelle,  and this fell out...

I looked on the back, and this little bookmark told me its forgotten tale.  It was given me by an old acquaintance and coworker, who also led a Bible study that I took (omg...I was in so many of those guys at once that sometimes I felt like I was back in college).  She gave it to me at the end of the class on January 11, 2001.  The study was and is called Jesus, the One and Only, written by a lady named Beth Moore.   She is quite famous in evangelical circles, and I attended one of her conferences, as well as doing many of her quite complicated studies at my old mega church.  She was revered a lot, and I was a fan.

Anyway, this bookmark survived a few "Christian stuff" purges, but found its way to the rubbish bin a few days ago.  It's funny how stuff like this keeps popping up.  I still have some religious books, but the signs and symbols of the old Xtian me just keep falling, falling away.

If you had come from the future, and visited me on 11 January 2001, and said, "So, honey, you'll be a mildly tipsy atheist watching Downton Abbey reruns and blogging in the early morning hours on 4 June 2014" I might've said, "Get thee behind me, Satan" or more likely, "Huh?"

Who knows how significant this will seem in the morning.   Maybe I'll feel like a fool.  All I know is that two women who barely know me took the time today to tell me all about London and gave me advice about what I should do when I'm there in August, all over dinner at a hilarious but sincere place in our small town called Little Mexico.  This makes me very happy and grateful.

The other thing I know is that Matthew (poor, doomed Matthew) has just found out that he must dance with O'Brien at an event, and that his reaction is, "Crikey."

So, future you, approaching me with my future beverage consumption, trip to the UK and atheism,  I just repeat Matthew's sentiment...

Crikey!!!

6 comments:

  1. Crikey is right! I noticed the name "Jesus Emmanuel" on that bookmark. Is he any relation to Temple Emanuel?

    (Yes, I just looked up for the bolt of lightning).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. :-D

      Here's another one--If there were any deity out there, could he make a salad so big that even he couldn't eat it? Oh, wait--San Geraldo already answered that one! :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, you made me laugh! I'm always grateful.

      Delete
    3. I took inspiration and made my own version last night! I would've taken a picture, but it was nowhere nearly as pretty as his!

      Delete
  2. #1. I would also LOVE to watch literary hoarders- and take some of the books others had to get rid of.
    #2. I am completely jealous that you get free books.
    #3. I also would not have believed where my life is now had you told me (but in 1996 - by 2001 I was on this path to 'H' already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I wish we lived near each other or had a wormhole to send books through. I would keep you HOOKED UP. It's a really great perk. I keep my own shelves stocked, give to friends and family, and donate books frequently.

      Oh, all of the best people are in 'H', Lol!

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.