Saturday, February 15, 2014

So Much for Romance, and Random Stuff

Every year, I get one of these.  EVERY YEAR.  A candy heart that's supposed to read "SO SWEET," but due to bad aim (on a machine's part, I assume) reads instead...



Well, maybe so, but can a girl be taken out to dinner first?  So much for romance. 

I'm missing DNA when it comes to romance and all that stuff.  I'm just not that into...any of it.  However, it looks like I had Cupid on the brain back in '80 (at age 5 and a half).  I drew and wrote on the back inside cover of a New American Standard Gideon Society-distributed New Testament, but my mind wasn't on Golgotha or the Island of Patmos, apparently...




It's so funny to me, because that's my first name, my last initial, my last name, and then my first and last initials.  This makes it look like I have a middle initial (I don't) and that I was a tiny doctor.  :)  Not sure what was going on there!  I only go by "Michelle" around here, but the sharp of eye may have noticed my last name in a few pictures in other posts.  Just for good measure, here it is in Russian...




This was in my old passport, which I recently sent in for renewal.  It's a short-term visa sticker that allowed me to be in Ukraine for two weeks for a mission trip.  (I know!).  I should probably write all about that sometime.

BUT...speaking of Russian visas and missionaries, I recently saw a really decent little indie film called The Saratov Approach, the story of actual events in 1998 when two American Mormon missionaries were held for ransom in a Russian city, not all that far from Ukraine, actually. (Just looked it up--about 700 miles from Kiev).  It made me think of a lot of stuff that I'd really like to write about, so hopefully that will be coming soon. 



I hope everyone had a really nice Valentine's Day! Mine was worse than the ending of the Keira Knightly 'Pride & Prejudice,' but better than getting kidnapped in Russia. So, pretty good. 



8 comments:

  1. That bible looks tiny. How do you read it, with a magnifying glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty tiny! Since it's just the New Testament, the print is not as microscopic as the whole thing would have to be. I don't know how much they do it these days, but the Gideons used to stand in various public places handing these out.

      Delete
  2. Looks to me like you started to write your last name on the first line, realized there was no room, so just started over again on the second line. "SO ..WEE#.."

    Was anyone actually willing to pay for the return of those Mormon missionaries? (I'm sorry. That's wasn't very nice of me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I bet you're right!

    Oh, Mitch, you don't have a mean bone in your body. :) It was quite perilous, because payment could have made other missionaries around the globe targets, many of whom are 19 or 20 years old. It really was a scary situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously I don't read your blog (or any for that matter) much anymore. Just decided to pop on here today. So glad you got to see the Saratov Approach! I saw it in Utah when Rick and I went to see Dallin march in the BYU marching band at Homecoming, and now we own the movie! I really enjoyed it, and am glad that you did too! Of course, it was a pretty scary film to watch just before your own son is about to embark on the same kind of journey. Dallin will be leaving for Poland (also close to Ukraine, although more friendly to the US than Russia) in June, to serve as a missionary there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it a lot, Charity, and expected to based on the trailer, but it exceeded my expectations. I'll buy a copy eventually, but am holding out to see if they release anything with commentaries, etc. We'll see! I saw it at YES Cinema in Columbus, IN. They had it for just one day--three screenings.

      Congratulations and best wishes to Dallin! That's really cool that he got an international calling, though I have no doubt that he would've happily served wherever he was sent. That'll be a fantastic experience.

      Yeah, I'm sure the film was a bit disconcerting! I was in Ukraine in 2002 in several Crimean cities that are on the news daily right now. It's so surreal. So yes, Poland sounds fantastic to me as opposed to Russia or Ukraine. :)

      Delete
    2. Here's a little clip to watch with the actual missionaries. He shows some original news footage as well. They must of changed the title of the film : ). I'm glad, I like Saratov Approach better. Anyway, I hope you enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2j04UGujY8

      Delete
    3. Oh my, I agree! The other title would've been a little heavy-handed. :) Thanks for the link. I just sent you an email...sorry it'll be a two-parter.

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.