Friday, August 23, 2013

Appropriate for Children Part II: Story Problems

My previous post contained photos of text from scripture, specifically from the book of Leviticus (chapters 7, 10, 11, 18 and 19).  The passages are in books clearly marketed to be purchased for children, and read and studied by them.  Here are some story problems that reflect some conundrums I find with the texts.

1.  Billy believes that the book of Leviticus is true, and that it contains quotations from God, as it claims.  Passages in Leviticus state that it is repugnant to God for his people to eat shellfish, wear cotton-poly blends and to engage in intercourse with someone of the same sex.  Billy regularly speaks out against same-sex marriage.  He also eats at Red Lobster and wears cotton-poly blend clothing, almost daily.  Why does Billy feel so strongly about some laws, yet behave so lackadaisically about others?  Can you help Billy reconcile this?

Bonus question for extra credit:  Does Billy really have a say in the matter of gay rights while breaking the other laws?  Circle one:  Yes   No

2.  Sally says that the Bible is needed in our government and schools, and that lifelong atheists like Susie have no moral compass.  The book of Leviticus states that God's people should not have sex with animals or sacrifice their children to Molech.  Susie has never had sex with an animal or burned a child to please Molech.  Is Sally correct?  Does Susie need Leviticus?

Bonus questions for extra credit:  Who is Molech?

Bonus question for extra credit:  How is Molech different from Yahweh (or not)?

3.  Tom believes that scriptures are not to be taken literally, but figuratively.  What is a helpful metaphor that can be gleaned from laws against sex with animals juxtaposed with laws about a man having sex with another man?

Bonus question:  Is Tom crazy?

9 comments:

  1. Extra credit: Billy regularly gets haircuts, shaves his face (Leviticus 19:27), and fails to tear down his house upon finding mildew growing in the shower (Leviticus 14:33-45). Is it acceptable for us to sneer at him?

    Circle one: Yes No

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great one, Ahab! Leviticus is ripe for the picking.

      Delete
  2. Jesus, protect me from your followers!

    I actually wanted to give witty/sarcastic responses to all your questions. But I'm just not clever enough.

    I don't know why I never read the bible from cover to cover. I usually really enjoy fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mitch, I saw the witty sarcasm on your post about the "journey back through time" at the fair! I was laughing out loud, but you still come across as sweet. When I'm sarcastic, I reread my post and think, "Goodness, what a jerk!" I'm a Grunyon when it comes to my old faith tradition. :)

      Delete
    2. Oops--Gruňon! Based on my spelling above, it looks like "Hooked on Phonics worked for me!"

      Delete
    3. So sorry. For some reason. Your replies aren't coming to me. I just happened to check back today and saw these both. You have never to me come across as Gruñon. I love the way you honestly and cleverly share your opinions... your experienced, well-informed and thoughtfully considered opinions.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Extra credit for you, Julie! Molech is not a god to be trifled with, right?

      I hope things are going well for you and your family. Hugs from the states!

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.