Friday, March 29, 2013

I Raise My Hand (or...Marriage: Not Just a Latch Hook-up)

When I was eight years old, I was a latch-hooking fool.  I don't even know if people do that anymore, but in the early eighties it was a thing, particularly among the little girl set of which I was a part.  Common themes in the kits I chose were butterflies, panda bears, unicorns and the like.  I was thrilled when we did it in art class, and once Mrs. Elsner had us create our own designs and run with them.  I copped out and made something super easy, given that it's composed mostly of simple rows, but I had to smile when I found it amongst some old things in a trunk recently.  Eight-year-old me (you little latch-hooking so-and-so), I think you were on to something...



When I was a little girl, I would have raised my hand if asked, "Who likes rainbows and hearts?!" "Who believes in unicorns?!"  Maybe in a Sunday School setting, "Raise your hand if you love Jesus!"  But I am not eight anymore.  I'm thirty-eight, and I've put these things behind.  I raise my hand for different things now...

Who had it wrong...all wrong?  I raise my hand.

Who turns away from the invisible (i.e. non-existent)?   I raise my hand.

Who sides instead with living, breathing, genuinely good people?  I raise my hand.

Who knows that in the past, women were property in marriage?
Who has heard that non-matching skin color was a legal deal-breaker?
Who believes that when we know better, we do better?   I raise my hand to all.

Who supports LGBT rights, including marriage equality?   I raise my hand.

I won't pretend in order to fit a role I've been given in the play in someone else's mind. 

Wherever, whenever, in front of whomever...

I raise my hand.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Michelle, I think I love you, you latch-hooking fool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitch, the feeling is mutual, you beach-living so-and-so!!

      Delete
  2. Latch Hooking ROCKS :)
    I raise my hand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, we've gotta bring it back! :)

      Delete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugswXc6UI4Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich, The Boss! Awesome link, thanks.

      Delete
  4. And I raise my hand to give you a high-five. Isn't an open mind a beautiful thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, indeed. A high five right back to you!

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.