Saturday, August 11, 2012

Artsy Stuff, Interrupted

I've been working on a few artsy-type things, which always makes me feel charged up.  It also creates the illusion that my mind is active and engaged, and my hands skilled at something.  No matter how well things start out, I end up keenly aware that everything I make looks like something that could end up on Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF?.  As I plan to keep all of these items and not try to sell them or force them on others, they (thankfully) won't be pictured beside some of the porcelain and crochet abortions that are featured on that site.  Here's a little tour of my unfinished projects.

This is a typeface/letterpress drawer that I bought a long time ago at one of those stores that's like an ongoing flea market.  I tried hanging it and filling it with little doodads, but it always looked a little frumpy.  I took out the doodads for awhile, and that didn't look right, either (though drawers like this can look really great as found art on their own in the right setting).  I decided to paint it and see what happened...





Here it is hanging on my bedroom wall.  I left some of the spaces unpainted so the antiquity of the piece isn't completely lost.  It turned into a mini-installation, as I found an old cheesebox (Huh? That's what it said on the label) at the same store and painted it as well.  I chose the colors because they were the ones I had in the form of acryllic paint--purple, blue, lime green, and white to mix in and make the three lighter shades of those three.  I count this as unfinished (interrupted), because I want to find a third little partitioned piece of some kind and hang it along with these two. 


                

Ok, don't judge.  This is a Palmist's sign that I'm making specifically to hang at Halloween.  The hand is one of those inserts that you get inside a (cheap) pair of gloves, and ages ago when working on another project, I had put it in tea in order to make it stain and look aged.  The other hand was used in another Halloween-y project.  This one sat around forever in a drawer with crafty stuff, so I took it out, decoupaged it to a cheap wooden plaque I had bought at Goodwill and had painted a metallic blue color, again, because I happened to have it.  On a whim, I glued on my old Emmaus cross.  The sign remains as pictured, but I think I'll paint the edge of the placque black (and slip out the back, Jack).  I'll do some kind of doodling or writing around the hand.  We'll see.

   

More non-judgement is required here.  This guy has been in my head for a couple of years, and I'm glad he's starting to take form.  The name of this is Steampunk Portrait, and I've been saving the little doodads for his face for awhile.  This is just a sketch of him--he will be painted.  More of him will be mixed media, as I have old striped pajama bottoms saved to make his suit, and I'll do something so his top hat will be 3D.  I love him so.  I think he's dashing. 


Even if you're tempted, please don't start up a website called TGINFS.

14 comments:

  1. If I can't judge, does that mean I also can't tell you how much I love all these? Well, I'm not listening.

    I always loved those printers' drawers. But, they've been knick-knacked for a very long time. It's great to see another way to use them and to actually create art out of them.

    The palmist's sign is inspired and I think painting edge of the plaque black (Jack) will finish it off beautifully.

    I can't wait to see the finished Steampunk Portrait. What a blast that would be to create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Mitch, and I've seen your banana, so I know you are an artist. (Bananas he DREW, silly readers!).

    I painted the edge of the hand sign black last night, and it looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are AWESOME! I am very impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Julie! I always love the drawings and artsy stuff you post, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Steampunk dude looks like a 19th century Borg. :-D

    I took one semester of sculpture in college (which also included mixed-media projects) and while I didn't hate it, I never felt completely comfortable with it. I'd much rather stick to 2D work. Have you always been artistically inclined?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich, resistance is futile! I've always wanted to go as a Borg for Halloween. :)

      Yes, the inclination has always been there, and I'm still waiting for ability to show up. I've posted a few things under the tags "art projects," "drawing" and whatnot, but I cringe to think of you seeing this stuff considering your brilliant comics that you draw!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Too late! I like the Day of the Dead skull and the ones under the title "Old drawings" just fine.

      Delete
  5. I likes 'em! I think you did a fine job.

    By the way, thank you for introducing us to Regretsy. It's HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ahab! Yes, Regretsy is one of those sites where I can just get lost in the lousy hilarity...glad to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Update: Fixed the Regretsy link. Not sure why it was bouncing back to blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the steampunk dude especially! I'm really interested to see what it will look like when painted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to add cogs and gears, so he'll really be sp and not cyborg. :) One of the gadgets in him is the guts of a Hoops and Yoyo greeting card with sound, and it includes one of our famous quotes!!! I'll bring that bit or the finished product when I come up. You just have to push this little tab to hear it. You'll fall over!

      Delete
    2. I can't wait! :)

      Which reminds me, I came across the b-day card you'd sent me a few years ago with the Hanoverian pics in it. Still the best card ever!

      Delete
    3. That was classic timing when that HQ came out! LOL

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.