Friday, July 20, 2012

Comment on Our Times

“I’m a registered Republican.  I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.”     --From HBO's The Newsroom 

I heard this quotation on Fresh Air during an interview with screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, and it really resonated with me as a perfect comment on our times in middle America.  It reminded me of Rachel Maddow's oft-quoted, "I'm undoubtedly a liberal, which means that I'm in almost total agreement with the Eisenhower-era Republican party platform." 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my god... I'm an Eisenhower Republican???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect things will move even further to the Right in the wake of the Citizens v United ruling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What we as a society consider "moderate" is changing significantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Ahab. The extreme right has skewed what some people perceive as left, moderate, and right. Strangely, many on the far right don't acknowledge this shift.

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.