Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ukrainian Easter Eggs

Here's my first and very experimental egg. I did these in Russian class more years ago than I'd like to think about, then a few weeks ago happened upon a class at our downtown gallery. I had planned on doing this with my art group, as it's my month to host, so that was serendipitous. I'll make more purposeful designs this time, but this was a good go for practice.
The last one shows the egg before I put it in blue dye and then melted the wax off over a candle (see, this is why it smacks a little of Wicca). These are just egg shells--I have poked holes in the ends of each egg and blown out the contents. I will not post pictures of the egg blowing. It's not attractive, and this is a family show. You can see the holes in the eggs in the picture on my previous post. So, there ya go. I'll have a prettier one next time, and rest assured that these will not be hidden in the meadow for Eostre to find and therefore grant me fertility. That bitch gets enough eggs.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That was your FIRST attempt? It's beautiful. Can't wait to see what you create this year.

    Also, thanks for the education. I knew nothing about Eostre and fertility (well, I knew a little bit about fertility)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, sir!

      You're welcome...yes, that other guy takes all of the attention on Easter. ;)

      Delete
  2. And by the way, I think you're both good eggs. (Sorry, couldn't help myself). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should so have shown egg-blowing photos.

    And those are very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to set up a camera to take them, and trust me, it wouldn't be attractive! :-D It's a bit tiresome, but once done, the fun begins! I'll post more photos this weekend.

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.