Saturday, March 31, 2012

Favorite Things...or...Hi, Game of Thrones. Let's Make Out.

My favorite things tend to have some things in common:
  • The first page of the book is a map
  • There is a flyer in the dvd packaging advertising high-priced collectibles
  • Among said collectibles, there is a set of swords, usually available in life-size and letter opener-size.
  • A host of new symbology which offers up new tattoo possibilities (tattoos that I proceed never to get)
  • Houses/families/ kingdoms from which to choose, pledge faelty, then defend to the death, even when that means verbally shaming those who disagree, while looking at them with a mixture of pity and disgust.
  • Trees with faces and/or personalities
  • A race of platinum blondes
  • Magic and supernatural happenings
  • Here thar be dragons...and their eggs (which often look like something Nate Berkus would arrange on a coffee table beside a candle and a block of coral).
I think you get it by now, and can name some of the fandoms (barf) of which I speak.  

Separate from these types of series, I also really, really love zombies and kraken.  I like the former whether they are found in movies or literature such as Night of the Living Dead (the 1968 George A. Romero film), the current AMC series The Walking Dead, or Dead Men Working in the Cane Fields (a portion of the 1929 book The Magic Island by W. B. Seabrook). I like the latter whether they appear in works like Kraken by China Mieville and the Cthulhu mythos by H. P. Lovecraft (I'll never know how it took me so long to start reading him) or are found in the form of Kraken Spiced Rum, also frought with expensive paraphernalia.

It's a shame that the type of fantasy series described above could never include zombies and kraken.  OR COULD IT???

Imagine my surprise when I received my copy of the HBO series Game of Thrones (based on the book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin) a few days after its release, and when delving into it learned that there is a zombie-like menace collectively known as the White Walkers and that the House of Greyjoy has as their sigil a golden kraken on a black field!  I don't know how much the books go into this, but I read somewhere that the origin of the Greyjoy symbol goes back to the family's worship of the god kraken, similar to Dagon who is found in Lovecraft stories and the Old Testament.

Besides the fantasy, zombies, and kraken (oh, my!), the show is brimming with sexual energy, even to the point that a term, sexposition, has been coined to describe Games' tendency to take care of exposition whilst the characters are having sex with prostitutes or some similar erotic activity.  The men in the show are a throng of dirty shirtless lovelies, who, when they aren't shirtless, are either clanging around in really cool armor or are berobed in gray and black fur.  In addition, my number one lady crush of all time, Lena Headey, plays my favorite character, Queen Cercei Lannister.  She and her brother Jaime are always plotting, and her son Joffrey is a little bystart who makes Draco Malfoy seem like Cindy Brady.

See...it's already happening.  Your eyes are blurring over, and you're getting lost in the inane lingo.  Unknowingly, you have a kinship with my co-workers who are strangers to you, but a mere ONE DAY into my Game of Thrones obsession were having to hear me spout off such nonsense as, "Of course, we all know the phrase, rich as a Lannister" or when I hand them some quarters for the soda machine, "A Lannister ALWAYS pays his debts."  A friend has had to endure this preface to a few text messages: "Greetings, my Sun and Stars..."

So, if you're walking along with a friend (or companion who is a sworn brother of The Wall) and see me driving by, and I roll down my window and shout, "In a GAME of THRONES you LIVE or you DIE...YOU LIVE OR YOU DIE!!!!" just roll your eyes, and say, "Michelle has a new favorite thing."

9 comments:

  1. I just started the first book. And I am LOVING it. In fact, I hate that I am at work now and not reading it! We alas do not have HBO but I believe we are buying the first season this weekend as Nathan has loved GoT for many years. Although I am not a fan of the Lannisers so far....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, make no mistake, there is no foreseeable reason to cheer for the Lannisters, except perhaps in a way for Tyrion. Their wickedness is why I'm drawn to them--I'm understanding a little more why people adorn themselves with Slytherin attire. :) Also, I just love Lena Headey as an actress and what she does to bring complexity to what could be a one note role. Great stuff!

      Oh, and I don't have HBO either, so I will fill my time waiting for season 2 to come out by reading the books. I read that Peter Dinklage is signed on for six seasons, so ain't no way I'm gonna upgrade to HBO until the last season. :)

      Delete
  2. Having already read the first four books in the series, all I can say is that you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet. Of course the big question I'm still wondering is what'll happen when the show catches up to the books? GRRM doesn't exactly grind them out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I hear, Rich--deaths of major characters, etc. etc. I can't wait to read the books. I started them last year, but got distracted with other reading, so I'm starting fresh.

      Yes, that will be interesting to see what happens when the show meets the end of the most recent book. Hmmm... I've got all five, I just need to drop some other things and get to it. :)

      Off topic... Just got back from Hunger Games and really enjoyed it--particularly JL, as you said.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen HG yet. I think we are going this weekend. Nathan was not a fan of the book so I had to talk him into taking me. :)
    I am excited to see the show. Although I feel like I need to read more before we watch the first season. I don't want to be spoiled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and the mister will enjoy HG. I've been told to check out Battle Royale, which was a Japanese novel turned manga turned movie in 2000. It has a similar plot--children pitted against each other to the death with one intended survivor. I guess there is even a boy looking out for the success of a girl contestant. I'm warned that it is much more graphic in the violence, but encouraged to see it as it became a cult classic. It's in my queue, so we shall see!

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen GoT yet... we also do not have HBO. I've heard from a lot of people who absolutely LOVE it, though.

    Do love the Walking Dead, however... what are your thoughts on S1 vs. S2 and the whole tone change they had there?

    I haven't seen HG either, but a girl who is in the EQ club I help run lives in the town where they filmed it, and her son was cast as an extra :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: Walking Dead...I don't even have AMC, so I am a slave to Netflix and or dvd release dates! I just saw season 1 a month or two ago, and enjoyed it. What I hear about season 2 is that it's disappointing and that they keep killing off cool people!

    Cool! What a fun badge if honor for him to be an extra in a movie that's making such a splash. I went in knowing very little, and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, s2 was all right to watch, but it definitely has a different tone than the first season did. S2 is a lot more "soap opera-y," I guess. When you do see it, I'd love to know what you think of it. We have so many movies and other things we need to catch up on ;)

      Delete

Always feel free to chime in.