Monday, November 28, 2011

Melancholia, Muppets, Marilyn...

I know that for some, this past holiday weekend is traditionally, among other things, a time for movie-going. It isn't always for me, but somehow I ended up at the movies three times for Melancholia, The Muppets, and My Week with Marilyn. My quickie reviews for each:

Melancholia--Trippy (the trippy bits in the trailer are the reason I went), at times hard to watch due to a character's crippling depression, and a film that provides food for thought that would fill many Thanksgiving tables. This is the type of movie that is a hit in the artsy theaters, but many mainstream moviegoers will hate it. I personally like it when a film makes me uncomfortable, and I enjoy leaving the theater thinking, "What did I just see?!" Depending on your preference, you may want to talk to someone about the movie for hours after, or contemplate it on your own. I chatted about it for just a few minutes with my old college friend who went with me, then after an hour long drive home, I called a friend who'd also seen it, and we chatted the night away.

Muppets--Cute, funny, clever, nostalgic. Oscar nominee Amy Adams is so classy to join in the fun, and I love hearing her sing again. There are so many great cameos like Sarah Silverman and Neil Patrick Harris.

My Week with Marilyn--Michelle Williams is mesmerizing, and doesn't look like herself. She and lots of others took pains to transform her, and it shows. It goes without saying that Judi Dench and Kenneth Branaugh shine. Non-wand-wielding Emma Watson does a fantastic turn as a low-on-the-totem-pole wardrobe girl. I love that she's willing to pay her dues and earn her right to a justifiable spot in the world of films--another classy lady.

I also saw Night of the Iguana with my film group, which is adapted from the Tennessee Williams play, and stars Richard Burton, Ava Gardner, and Deborah Kerr. It's worth its own post, and I must go to bed! Maybe another day...

7 comments:

  1. I may have to check out MELANCHOLIA. I'm always open to creative, intelligent films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do, let me know what you think. My favorite parts are the visually stunning fantasy opening (a sequence that lasts a little less than ten minutes, I'd say) and the ending. It's a rough journey, but an interesting one. Kirsten Dunst works her ass off in this film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see the Muppet Movie, just out of principle :) I'm glad to hear that you thought it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went with my sisters over Thanksgiving weekend. It was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi--did you get the pictures I sent? Some were from my phone and some from my camera, so I sent separate emails. Finally, I got those sent, like, two months later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did get them, Michelle! And hmm, I thought I had e-mailed you back that I did... but looking at them, I didn't, and it's sitting in my drafts folder :( I'm going to blame old age on this one!

    This is what I'd meant to say:

    I loved seeing where you hung the cheshire cat chimes :) And the Balcony is comedy gold! We need to get the companion piece to that one with you in the classroom above (if that's still possible) someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally! I love having that picture..it's like the story is illustrated for me now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always feel free to chime in.