Wednesday, November 30, 2011

25% Mormon

This is kinda fun.  I filled out this test at beliefnet.com,* seriously called the Belief-O-Matic, and it gave me a list of religions that I fit.  It's ranked based on the percentage of answers I gave that matched this or that faith.  Here's my list:

  1. Secular Humanism (100%)
  2. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
  3. Liberal Quakers (75%)
  4. Nontheist (74%)
  5. Theravada Buddhism (68%)
  6. Neo-Pagan (64%)
  7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (60%)
  8. New Age (48%)
  9. Reform Judaism (44%)
  10. Taoism (44%)
  11. Orthodox Quaker (38%)
  12. Mahayana Buddhism (37%)
  13. Sikhism (32%)
  14. New Thought (28%)
  15. Baha'i Faith (25%)
  16. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (25%)
  17. Jainism (24%)
  18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (22%)
  19. Seventh Day Adventist (20%)
  20. Hinduism (19%)
  21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (19%)
  22. Eastern Orthodox (16%)
  23. Islam (16%)
  24. Orthodox Judaism (16%)
  25. Roman Catholic (16%)
  26. Jehovah's Witness (12%)
I'm not surprised at the top answers, but I'm a little stunned to find that I'm more Mormon than what I actually was previously, which is Conservative Christian/Protestant.  I think my Roman Catholic friend Jack may throw a fit that I'm more Mormon and Hindu than Catholic and that I'm equal parts Muslim and Catholic.  I sort of took this on the fly, so I'm sure my results would differ each time I took it.

But there you go.  I'm more Mormon than I thought.  I may shed a tear the next time I hear "I Believe" on The Book of Mormon soundtrack. 

One last thing for today.  Since I'm a 74% Non-theist, I want to give a shout-out to a Non-theist member of my family tree--Mark Twain (he makes an appearance in my ancestry by the skin of his teeth, but I cling to the connection nonetheless).  Anyone who has Googled anything today knows that this is his 176th birthday.  Here are a few quotations from the old crank:

Nothing agrees with me. If I drink coffee, it gives me dyspepsia; if I drink wine, it gives me the gout; if I go to church, it gives me dysentery.     From a letter to Henry H Rogers (August 7, 1905), quoted from Barbara Schmidt, ed, "Mark Twain Quotations, Newspaper Collections, & Related Resources" 

God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyll and Hyde of sacred romance.     From Notebook (1904)

 ____________________________
*I don't necessarily endorse the content on this site.  One of their big stories right now is, "Inspiring Quotes from the Twilight Saga."  Seriously?

5 comments:

  1. Ok, so I seriously went to the site to take the quiz (sick curiosity, I know!), but stopped when they wanted my name and e-mail :) I'm such a privacy junkie, and I'm a little bit leery of the spam this place might end up sending my way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you. :) I have a bum email I sometimes use for sites that make you register for frivolous reasons. My big beef is how many sites that legitimately need my info and how many stinking passwords I have to have! I want to go through and change them all to the same thing, though I know that's not the wisest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only religion that didn't beat my childhood religion of Catholicism is Jehovah's Witnesses. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to see what comes up. :) I should take this quiz again to see if my results are similar. I actually took this months before I even posted it, so who knows what it might say now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Macha!

    ReplyDelete

Always feel free to chime in.