Saturday, September 17, 2011

Gods Behaving Badly

I was thankful for one of Thursday's SoulPancake assignments, which included this quotation (and quotation within a quotation):

"Nothing is original.  Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.  Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul.  If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic.  Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent.  And don’t bother concealing your thievery – celebrate it if you feel like it.  In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said:  “It’s not where you take things from – it’s where you take them to.” --Jim Jarmusch
I appreciate it because I know I will be "borrowing" heavily for the writing activity I mentioned a few days ago.*  The few ideas that I have draw inspiration from Neil Gaiman's American Gods, the Origin of Love animation sequence from Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and others.  I'll be exploring the ideas in this post about people wreaking havoc on behalf of their gods, but hopefully in comic, satirical fashion.

Even if I only make it a few weeks and not nearly to the 50,000 word mark and it is a complete pile of balls, hopefully I'll at least have a bizarre little funny short story to show for it.

Oh--and as I threatened in the comments here, there will be a character who is bidden to knit at gunpoint...





----------------------------------------------------------
*This business of inspiration-theft is more clear to me than ever since I joined my film group.  I've learned (from movie buffs vastly more intelligent and informed than I) about how some of the most intense martial arts and gangster film scenes of violence are influenced by the choreography in classic musicals like Singin' in the Rain.

6 comments:

  1. First, I love, love, love that quote. Secondly, what writing activity is this you speak of? 50k sounds a lot like NaNoWriMo, which I've participated in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this SoulPancake place looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed, I speak of NaNoWriMo! I would love to hear about your experiences with that!

    SoulPancake is very cool. I discovered it and checked it out on many occasions not knowing that it was started by the very funny and talented Rainn Wilson. :) Sometime soon I'm going to post a few things that I've responded to on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh cool! I've participated in NaNo four times, I think, though didn't for the past two years. It's good for persuasion to get you in the habit to write some each day, and also not to focus so much on self-editing as you go. I won all 4 years I did it, and still have the drafts on file for them. It really can be fun!

    My only issue with it has been that one puts out material so FAST -- because that is the point -- that I've found it hard to go back and edit to clean up the copy for any attempts at publishing. I love the concepts I had, but not so much the execution. Part of my problem, too, is that I've written most of my stuff on the fly and probably could have planned better :)

    You tempt me to do it again this year. I've done it with friends other years, and we'd give ourselves daily word challenges and share snippets as we went. I bet that would be a blast to do with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome! Let me know if you decide to do it, and I would be totally up for that! I will say that I'm just as intimidated by the thought of doing this side-by-side with you as I would be if it were drawing instead of writing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Always feel free to chime in.