Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Because My Uncle Rico's an IDIOT

Call me Rico. I'm turning into an idiot.

This is documented by the stack of files that I have in one of those old plastic milk crates. (Back when I was in college, you stored stuff in ugly crap. There was no HGTV to shame us into stylish, matchy-matchy storage. Like the dummy I'm turning into, I digress...). The files are filled with my college papers, and some from high school.

I was perusing some of these lately, and thought, "Almighty Zeus. Who was this girl? Where is she now?" These papers are far, far, far from brilliant, but they show a level of critical thinking that I seriously don't think I've reached in, oh, I don't know...more than a decade? (Is that how you spell decade? Maybe I should look it up in the...looking-up thing. What's that shiny thing on my pant leg?).

All of this got me thinking about how privileged we are to have ready access to almost unlimited information. When I was in high school in the early nineties, my sources of information were limited to small local and school libraries, network news, and PBS (praise the Fates for PBS). Seriously, there wasn't much to work with. There was not a Barnes and Noble on every corner. There was no internet other than a caveman version of email that nobody had (a friend of mine would go over to a college in our town and email her boyfriend in another state--I had no idea what the hell she was talking about). That was a completely different paradigm from our present day, when loads of people have little magic boxes in our pockets which allow us to learn anything, anywhere, at any time.

So, what am I doing with this omnipotent reach of knowledge across all cultures over the entire globe? Well, the truth is in the proverbial pudding, so let me check some of my recent Google searches. Here are a few in all of their glory:

~chloe seveigny drag queen guy
~who is opening for katy perry
~how tall is jeanne tripplehorn

Right. Maybe I should take a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always feel free to chime in.