Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Numbers

My dad was born on this day in 1936, which makes him 75 years old today.  I was the last of six children born to my parents, so my parents are ten or fifteen years older than most of those of my peers.  The year my dad turned 38 was when I was born, so I'll be 37 on my next birthday.

I talked to him on the phone today, and we discussed all of the things that have changed in his lifetime...science and technology, medicine, etc.  He said that he read somewhere that some intellectuals in the forties had made the pronouncement that everything that could be invented had been, and that there would never be anything new under the sun.  We laughed about that and said that we are pretty much The Jetsons, sans flying cars. 

If I live to be 75, it'll be the year 2049 (Is that even right?  I'm an arts and humanities person).  I wonder what life will be like then.  Hmmm...

Happy Birthday, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always feel free to chime in.